Thursday, May 7, 2009

I for Internship <> I for IPL <> I for Introducing APL

Come the season of summer there is a weird curriculum waiting for wanna-be MBA grads in a B-School. They (includes me and my fellow mates) are told that through a thing called internship, they would gain valuable experience for becoming a manager. This 'I' starts off during the worst time in a year... Summers. So it is also called summer internship. Well the biggest let-off besides the weather is the fact that it is more of an opportunity for the corporate to get 'cheap labour'. And when i say labour, it’s actually means manual labour. I don't mean to disrespect the Labour class of our country (frankly speaking they are the best in the world) but once you are into a B-School you expect something better. Ok nobody has issues with working for a corporation, but there needs to be a certain level of motivation involved which needs to be generated from the hirer. So far with various reviews I can safely say that 90-95% of the interns are not at all motivated. The reason can vary from culture of the firm, the work assigned to the salary given etc etc. It has been a horrid time for me as well, partly due to the weather of Delhi. It has been the hottest April in Delhi for over half-a-century and I feeling its brunt. Add to that the no stipend clause and ** you get EXPLOITATION OF LABOUR.
Tired and exhausted for most part of the internship, my only salvation is the 2nd ‘I’ – IPL. After a sedate and rather boring start, the 2nd edition of IPL is turning in to another success star on Lalit Modi’s cap. Now the teams are getting used to the conditions and are able to devise better strategies. Indian players (well at least the ones in national team) are performing superbly. After slogging the entire day in heat and crappy work, I head back to my hostel with the expectations of a nice cricket match, and its rarely I have been disappointed. Adding to the fizz in IPL is the fantasy game, which is played by almost all cricket lovers from my college. Due to this fantasy game you can see people cheering for players from both the teams just for the fact that they are included in the fantasy team. It’s hilarious… It’s weird, but I actually get the motivation to run back home just because of IPL. Somewhere down the line I would owe a lot to IPL for saving me from one painful death. And yes, when I speak of the above lines, I am not being selfish. I speak on behalf of half a dozen friends of mine who feel exactly the same.


Waiting for the days to end and dump this internship thing into my historical ‘don’t-touch’ ledgers..

And ya I forgot to introduce to you all .. Adhchini Premier League 2009 (APL). This is the cricket extravaganza we have organized to keep the craze of cricket alive. Matches take place involving teams from adhchini who cross cultural boundaries to play together. This league involves 2 formats:
1. Hot sun format
2. Underground format

The hot sun format includes matches which brings players out on the sun and test their physical fitness and stamina. The underground format checks more of the temperament and skill as it happens under lights and is played in the basement. Transfers keep happening regularly with the no. of players also variable.

1 comment: